Video Report–10:30pm–#Bridgeort CT–Just after 10:30 pm Sunday night a police officer on patrol called in a fire at a mini strip mall at 540 Park Avenue at the corner of South Frontage Road. Firefighters first on scene reported heavy fire in the back o f the building. The building is totally vacant but initial radio reports indicate concerns on the apartment to the right of it until it was realized the apartments were not attached. The fire marshal was called to the scene and he has begun his investigation for the source of the fire. There were no injuries.
1:01pm–#Bridgeport CT–Firefighters had to extricate a worker who fell through a roof falling about ten feet. The accident happened at 1802 Main Street. The man was breathing and conscious and transported to St. Vincent’s Hospital with mostly leg injuries. OSHA was called to the scene to investigate.
11:40pm–#Bridgeport CT–Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in a camper parked in side lot at 430 Park Street.
A lot of suicide attempts in the area today. We won’t report specifics but a Fairfield man today was rushed to the hospital after intentionally swallowing anti-freeze to end his life. Firefighters in Bridgeport cut down a person who attempted to hang themselves, performed CPR and saved their life. In one town a 13 year old was transported for evaluation for suicidal thoughts and in another town (towns intentionally not posted) another 13 year old intentionally attempted to overdose on her psychiatric medication. There appears to be an increase in psychiatric calls but earlier in November 2012 Governor Malloy cut $80 million to health and human services.
9:06pm–#Bridgeport CT–Self cleaning oven fire at 160 Village Lane. Time to call Marsillio’s Appliance and TV at 2031 Black Rock Tpke in Fairfield. (203) 366-7541. Same fire crew from the car fire responding to this.
Just before midnight a Bridgeport Police Officer on routine patrol discovered this garage on fire at the corner of Beechwood Avenue and Howard Avenue. They soon reported the exact location as 1159 Howard Avenue. As firefighters were on the way they also let the firefighters know that there was another garage right behind it that was of brick construction and wood roof on fire yet but firefighters did not let that happen. Firefighters quickly went to work and prevented a complete loss of this two bay garage. Special thanks to Chris Clarke from firstduephotography.smugmug.com for this photo. Check out the great work they do covering the city! Of course a great job to the Bridgeport Fire Department for keeping this fire minor!