PART-TIME BUSINESS EDUCATION TEACHER JOB DESCRIPTION
CAREER & CRAFTMANSHIP
- Valid State of Connecticut Teacher Certification
- Bachelor’s Degree with business or business education major or minor.
- Two years’ successful classroom teaching experience, at least half in business education.
- At least six months successful experience as a business employee.
- Demonstrated skill and dexterity in working with business machines and equipment.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
JOB GOAL: To develop in each pupil an understanding of our American business system and its place in the nation’s economy; to provide knowledge needed for intelligent consumption of business services; to develop practical business skills for personal use or for use in business occupation; to encourage pupils to develop work and personal habits essential for success in business.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES OF BUSINESS EDUCATION TEACHER:
- Provides instruction, knowledge and skills in one or more of the following subjects to secondary pupils: keyboarding, accounting, record keeping, office procedures, business law, business communication, basic business, consumer math, computer applications, marketing I, personal finance, and medical billing and coding.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develops lesson plans and organizes daily classes so that demonstration, instruction, and practice can be completed with the allotted time.
- Prepares appropriate instructional aids and display materials to enhance learning.
- Instructs pupils in use, care, and safe operations of business equipment.
- Maintains a record of pupil attendance and makes daily reports.
- Controls assigned district-owned office equipment and supplies to prevent loss or abuse.
- Establishes and maintains standard of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive environment in the laboratory type classroom, where several kinds of activities may be taking place simultaneously.
- Instructs pupils in importance and significance of accuracy, neatness, efficiency, resourcefulness, and good work habits in obtaining and retaining employment in business.
- Evaluates each pupil’s performance, knowledge, and skills in course being taught; prepares progress reports and employment references for pupils as required.
- Maintains continued contact with local business community to keep in touch with job entry requirements and current business methods and equipment.
- Evaluates, selects, and requisition books, instructional aids, equipment, and instructional supplies and maintains required inventory records.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and/or in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Participates cooperatively with appropriate administrator to develop the method by which he/she will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
- Identifies pupil needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned work day.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Performs other duties as many, from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
Pending Grant Funding
Salary will be in accordance with the BEA contract salary schedule.
Qualified candidates who wish to apply should access the website:
It is the policy of the Bridgeport Board of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, present or past mental disorder, mental retardation, or learning ability, in any of its education programs, activities, or employment practices.
“The Bridgeport Board of Education is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.”