Fire Marshal UPDATE:
8:52pm–#Bridgeport CT– A woman in the 1200 block of Lindley Street went to go light a candle during the power outage. Bridgeport Police Chief AJ Perez said: “The victim thought she was lighting a candle, but it was actually a pyrotechnic device — a large powerful firecracker called a ‘quarter-stick’. The explosion blew off both of the woman’s hands, and she was rushed to St. Vincent’s Medical Center.” “Tragically, quarter-sticks do look like candles,” says Perez.
The incident happened in front of her children, her 12-year-old son made the call to 911. Police spokesperson Av Harris said a second device was discovered in the home and neighbors next to her house had been evacuated as a precaution. The bomb squad was called in to remove the device and the fire marshal is investigating.