BRIDGEPORT, CT – The Bridgeport Police Department is asking the public to help identify a male seen in photographs released by investigators. Police say he is a person of interest in the killing of Johnny Nesmith at the P.T. Barnum housing complex on August 9, 2026.
Nesmith, 46, was shot numerous times outside Building 21 at approximately 1:00 a.m. Police said the shooting happened shortly after a reunion of residents and former residents of the complex that had been held the previous day, Saturday, August 8.
Investigators said numerous people were near Nesmith when he was shot, but no one else was struck by gunfire.
Homicide detectives are also asking anyone who may have cell phone video that could assist in the investigation to send it to Jeffrey.Holtz@bridgeportct.gov.
Nesmith was a former resident of P.T. Barnum.
“We have heard repeatedly that Johnny Nesmith was a popular, uplifting person, and a good father,” said Detective Jeffrey Holtz. “We know it is difficult to come forward, but we need those who were right there to complete the picture of what happened, who shot, and why.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the Bridgeport Police Homicide Unit at (203) 581-5293.

