ON SATRUDAY December 5, 2011 AT 7:19 PM the Fairfield 911 received a request from a homeowner on Congress Street to check on a roof fire that had been extinguished by her friends. Jody Hoffman, of 3590 Congress Street noticed a small fire on a second floor porch roof while showing some friends the upstairs of her home. According to the homeowner sparks and embers from a fire in the fireplace had gone up the chimney and landed on the flat roof of a second floor porch, starting a small fire. The fire was extinguished by her friends who formed a “bucket brigade” and poured water out the window. Mrs. Hoffman contacted the fire department “just to be sure” the fire was out. Lt. Bullard of Engine Company 5, located on Congress Street, arrived on scene and verified that the fire on the second floor porch roof was extinguished. However, the wooden roof and the soffit area near the chimney was on fire. Lt. Bullard requested a full structure alarm assignment. The occupants and guests were evacuated from the building. Firefighters used 35’ground ladders to access the roof and special ventilation saws to open it and expose the fire. Tarps and fans were used inside to minimize smoke and water damage. Thermal imaging cameras were used to check for extension on exterior walls and extinguish hidden fire. Engine 5, Engine 4, Engine 2, Engine 1, Ladder 1, Ladder 2, and Car 3 worked together and quickly extinguished the fire before it spread through out the attic. Chief Felner responded to the scene. Mutual aid assistance was provided by the Westport Fire Dept. to provide coverage at Station 1 during the incident. The last fire unit left the scene at 9:00 PM.