At approximate 3:00 PM on March 5, 2012, Fairfield Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a vehicle accident with injuries on Black Rock Turnpike near Stillson Road. Fairfield Engine 2, Ladder 2 and the shift commander responded to the scene along with Fairfield Police and AMR. Emergency personnel found a 3 car accident with a the driver of one car unconscious and unresponsive locked in his running vehicle. Emergency personnel forced entry into the vehicle, stabilized the vehicle and initiated medical care on the driver . As emergency personnel were extricating the victim from the car, a second accident occurred where a vehicle struck a car and a Fairfield Fire Department Ladder Truck that was protecting the scene of the initial accident. No fire personnel were on the ladder truck at the time of the accident and no fire, police or EMS responders were injured. An additional ambulance was called to the scene as a precaution and ultimately all parties from the second accident refused treatment and transport to the hospital. The victim of the first accident was treated and transported to an undetermined hospital by AMR in stable condition. No other injuries were reported as a result of the first accident. No additional units were called to the scene as a result of the accident and personnel were able to provide seamless care to all parties on scene.

Assistant Chief Scott Bisson stated, “We are often asked why the fire department sends so many apparatus to the scenes of vehicle accidents and I beleive the answer is self evident, it is for the tools, personnel and safety of all emergency personnel operating in the road ways.” Bisson further stated, “Barrier tape and flashing lights may warn drivers of an accident in the middle of a busy roadway but only 60,000 pounds of steel can stop or deflect a moving car from striking emergency personnel when drivers ignore those warnings. The system worked today and prevented any additional injuries to emergency responders”

The cause of both accidents remain under investigation by the Fairfield Police Department. The Fire Department’s ladder truck was out of service for approximately 2 hours while the fire department maintenance division assessed the damage and made temporary repairs to restore it to emergency service.

By Stephen Krauchick

DoingItLocal is run by Steve Krauchick. Steve has always had interest with breaking news even as an early teen, opting to listen to the Watergate hearings instead of top 40 on the radio. His interest in news spread to become the communities breaking news leader in Connecticut’s Fairfield County. He strongly believes that the public has right to know what is happening in their backyard and that government needs to be transparent. Steve also likes promoting local businesses.

Leave a Reply