The Fairfield Emergency Communications Center received a 911 emergency phone call on Thursday afternoon from a Fairfield resident that mistakenly used a bleach solution in place of distilled water for a home nasal rinse. Emergency Telecommunicators initiated a 3-way phone connection with the Connecticut Poison Control Center at UCONN Health to provide immediate medical advice over the phone to the resident. LT John Calandriello with firefighters of Engine 5 arrived on scene within 3 minutes of dispatch and found the resident had accidently used a homemade bleach solution from a distilled water bottle container labeled as “chlorine” on one side. Paramedics from American Medical Response attended to the patient and assessed their health condition. Luckily, no immediate hospital transport was required for the resident.
“An important lesson learned from this incident is how our residents should be safely making homemade cleaning solutions due to the lack of supply of pre-mixed cleaning products during this Covid crisis,” says Assistant Chief Erik Kalapir. “Some of us may have been mixing these solutions in non-hazardous looking containers.” “Although this container was labeled on one side, some residents may not be clearly labeling after mixing,” advises Assistant Chief Kalapir. “Residents should ensure that all members of the household are aware of homemade solutions in bottles and containers. These containers should be clearly marked and kept in locations where cleaning solutions would normally be found away from the access of children and toddlers.”
2020-04-30@1:11pm–#Fairfield CT– An elderly woman on Sherwood Farm Road said she sprayed a chlorine/bleach product into her nose and nasal passage. Radio reports say she said the product was mislabeled and that her nose and nasal passages feel like they are on fire. Fire and EMS on the way.
This news report is made possible by: